Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentines Day Follow Up - Giving a Goat

I had some good online and offline feedback about my Valentines Day list posted last week.  But I think i surpassed myself by getting my wife a goat this year.

Her name is Thimble (the goat that is) and she is a Saanen goat from an organically farmed milking herd.  We picked her up on Saturday and have really enjoyed her presence on the block since then.  She is full of personality, loves company, is quite inquisitive and great to milk from.

Some photos;


The developing new chicken coop is in her paddock, and Thimble spent some time checking on progress.  It's a little bigger than her own shelter, and she seems to prefer this larger, newer shed....  Our Dexters found Thimble's appearance quite a pleasant surprise also. 
 

So to the list then....


Why a goat?

- She will provide all of our daily milk requirements
- She is a friendly and interesting addition to our stock
- She eats things that other animals don't eat (like blackberry and gorse)
- Her milk will eventually be used for cheese and yoghurt.
- The kids love her



3 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,
    great gift! I received my two pygmy goats for Christmas!
    I've grown quite attached to them - they follow us around like dogs. The only drawback is their need to chew everything in sight. We have to really keep them moving when we walk by our young apple trees!
    On another note, how do you like your Dexters? Are they common in NZ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Now that is the best gift going!!!

    ReplyDelete